Saturday, July 20, 2013

Justice for Trayvon Rally in New York City

Earlier today, I attended the vigil in Manhattan for Trayvon Martin as part of the Justice for Trayvon National Day of Action. Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon's mother, vowed to keep fighting not just for her child, but for "all of your children". The crowd roared.

I was honored by the many people who asked to take a picture of my sign:



"Thank you," they said, each time, and each time I replied, "Thank you."

[ETA: I just realized, days later, that I left out the 'y' in Trayvon's name. How embarrassing! Just goes to show how our hands/eyes can deceive us, because I was certain I'd written it correctly. I'll get it right next time.]

More coverage of the rallies:
NYT: Demonstrations Across the Country Commemorate Trayvon Martin (w/ photos)
USA Today: 'Justice for Trayvon' rallies in 100 cities across USA (Note: Video plays automatically at link.)
Us Weekly: Beyonce, Jay Z Attend Trayvon Martin Rally in New York City

Donate to the Trayvon Martin Foundation here. The Foundation's mission is "to create awareness of how violent crime impacts the families of the victims, and to provide support and advocacy for those families, in response to the murder of Trayvon Martin."

Below are some more photos from the event.









 







 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment